Best Books of 2015



2015 wasn't a spectacular reading year for me but I've still managed to pick ten books from the forty-five that I read. It's still a varied list with two non-fiction novels, two fantasy books, three modern classics and one thriller. I'm writing this post right now on my phone whilst at a beach resort with a crappy internet connection so please forgive the brief descriptions of each book. Here's my top ten of 2015 in no particular order.

The Story of the Lost Child by Elena Ferrante
The final novel in the Neapolitan series. It's as brilliant as the previous ones.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
The last book I read this year and exactly what I needed after the longest book slump. Light, fantastic, intriguing and magical.

The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson
Funny, bizarre and so interesting.

Thus Were Their Faces by Silvina Ocampo
I'm not a big fan of short stories but these ones were truly haunting and unforgettable. My favorite one was The Imposter.

The Invention of Morel by Adolfo Bioy Casares
A fugitive hides out at a deserted island where nothing is as it seems. Sublime.

Mayumi and the Sea of Happiness by Jennifer Tseng
A lovely book about a very taboo love affair.

Silence by Shusaku Endo
A truly profound novel about Portugese missionary priests in 16th century Japan.

Mr Mercedes by Stephen King
This cat and mouse thriller was the best crime novel I've read all year. It's the first of a trilogy. The second one, Finders Keepers, was just as good.

The Unfortunate Importance of Beauty by Amanda Filipacchi
Loved this highly original, weird and whimsical novel that reads like a fairy tale. Two friends, one beautiful and one not, and their quest to find true love.

Love is a Mixed Time - Love and Loss One Song at a Time by Rob Sheffield
I chose this for my book club and although only one other person enjoyed it,  I still loved this heartbreaking memoir about Rolling Stones' writer, Rob Sheffield,  and his wife Renee.

I know I haven't been blogging much during the past few years but I always make it a point to post a year end list. If you are still reading my blog then thank you. If you are on instagram and still interested to see what I'm reading then please do check out @theliterarystew. I seem to be posting more there these days. Happy New Year everyone!


Comments

Popular Posts